Windows Defender , the antivirus of Microsoft , is a permanent presence in Windows 10 since its arrival, and although in general it is a good tool , it also suffers with a certain frequency of failures in its antimalware protection engine that more than once have been exposed to the users or they have even broken the start .
If you want to disable Windows Defender , the simplest way is to install another antivirus of your preference, since when recognizing that the user has installed a third-party solution this is automatically disabled. However, it is not possible to remove Windows Defender permanently, nor is it possible to completely uninstall your engine, at least not in a simple way.
There may be multiple reasons or scenarios in which you need to get rid of Windows Defender completely, but you should bear in mind that you will be exposing yourself to several security risks if you do it without installing any alternative program. If you have decided what you need, we will explain how to disable Windows Defender in any version of Windows 10 .
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education
It is possible to disable Windows Defender through the local group policies , unless you use Windows 10 Home, for this you will have to resort to the Registry, as we will explain later. If you use Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education, you can follow these steps:
- Open the start menu, type ” edit group policy ” and press Enter. Or, press the Windows + R key and in the drawer write: gpedit.msc
- In the policy editor window navigate to the following path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus
- To the right of the window select the option Disable Windows Defender Antivirusand double click on it
- In the pop-up window check the box ” Enabled ” , press Apply and then OK
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
You can revert the changes following exactly the same steps, but instead of checking the box “Disabled” you must check “Not configured”
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 Home
To completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 Home we will have to resort to the Windows Registry, unfortunately the process is a bit more complicated and risky, so we recommend you to create a subtraction point before starting in case something goes wrong, for that you can get back to the point before you hurt something.
- Press the Windows + R key and in the box to execute a command type: regedit
- From the Registry Editor navigate to the following route: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows Defender
- Right click on the Windows Defender folder and select New > DWORD Value (32-bit)
- Right click on the new value, change its value name to DisableAntiSpyware and press Enter.
- Right click on DisableAntiSpyware and select Modify . Change the information number from 0 to 1 and press OK.
- Restart your computer.
You can revert the changes following the same steps, you will only have to erase the DWORD value DiabloAntiSpyware that you had created.